Thank you for your interest in All Africa House!
Please fill out the booking form below to let us know a few details about your intended stay. Our team will then get in touch with you to confirm your booking.
We look forward to hearing from you!
Terms & Conditions
All Africa House (AAH) is designed to provide accommodation in a scholarly environment for visiting scholars to the University of Cape Town (UCT). AAH provides short-term (e.g. a few days) to medium-term (e.g. 3 months) accommodation.
The accommodation is self-catering, though a full buffet breakfast will be served daily. Guests have access to kitchen facilities, either shared ones or own, depending on the accommodation booked.
Visiting scholars are generally thought to be from other tertiary education institutions than the UCT and may include:
- Academics and researchers
- University administrators
- Prospective candidates for academic and administrative posts
Other guests as may be sanctioned by Management on an individual basis.
Not eligible to stay in All Africa House are:
- Academic and administrative support staff who have accepted appointments at the University of Cape Town, in which case Staff Housing is available for this purpose
- Visitors with children under the age of 14 years
- Holidaymakers and transit visitors to Cape Town, in which case our Vacation Accommodation is available for this purpose
Booking and Payment Procedures
Provisional Bookings: All bookings made are treated as provisional bookings until such a time as a deposit has been paid (25% of the total amount owing) or in the case of academic departments, a fund number has been furnished for the purpose of charging the accommodation to at the end of the stay.
Confirmed Bookings: These are provisional bookings that are confirmed by the payment of a deposit or the provision of a departmental fund number.
Payment can be made as follows:
- Departmental fund transfer (journal entry), credit card number or entity
- Credit card payment
- Electronic bank transfer
- Check-in time: Guests can take occupancy of the accommodation any time from 14:00 hrs on the day of arrival.
- Check-out time: 10:00 hrs on the day of departure.
- Arrival: Guests are requested to sign the register at the reception desk. Ensure that you have a set of keys to the room and a numbered security card for entering and leaving the building. Check the room or apartment and report any problem to the supervisor or the sub-warden on duty. Take responsibility for securing their possessions. AAH has installed personal safes; our team at reception can provide details about this facility.
- Keys are available from reception of AAH between 08:00–23:00 hrs Monday to Friday and 08:00–22:00 hrs on weekends and public holidays. Guests arriving at another time should either make arrangements with their host departments at UCT to get the keys during office hours or notify AAH management of their time of arrival. For late arrivals (after 23:00 hrs on weekdays, after 22:00 hrs on weekends and public holidays) AAH management will then alert the Overnight Receptionist to be available to hand over keys when the arriving guest rings the AAH front door intercom.
- Departure: On departure, it is necessary to sign out of the guest register, hand in all keys and the security access card. A charge will be incurred to replace any keys or security cards lost or not returned. Should a guest need to leave AAH after hours, on a weekend or a public holiday, please inform the AAH administration during office hours and request a final invoice in advance of departure.
- Settling your invoice on departure: Guests must settle all outstanding monies still owing to AAH, between 08:00 hrs and 16:00 hrs weekdays since the office is closed over weekends and public holidays. Paying the bill in advance will speed up the process and any queries can be handled quickly and efficiently. Upon payment ensure that you obtain a receipt from the UCT employee on duty. When paying by credit card or departmental fund, please ensure that the UCT employee on duty has the relevant details before leaving.
- Family members and other overnight visitors: A partner may share an en-suite/studio and executive flat or a suite with a visiting scholar at an extra cost, as shown in the general tariffs (second person supplement would be applicable except in the case of the two-roomed apartment). Guests must inform the AAH management if an additional person will be sharing the room. No more than one person can occupy a single room. No more than two persons can occupy an en-suite/studio and executive flat.