Student Governance and Leadership is a division of the UCT Department of Student Affairs (DSA).
It provides a proactive and enabling support and capacity building service to the Student Representative Council (SRC), the Student Assembly and student faculty councils. In doing so, it seeks to uphold and promote the principles of co-operative governance, and to give meaning to the Memorandum of Understanding between the SRC and the university management. The division is also responsible for various leadership development opportunities for UCT student leaders specifically, and UCT students generally.
To achieve its objectives, the division works in partnership with both UCT student leaders and other internal and external stakeholders around a number of initiatives. These partnerships are student centered, and the programme content is annually designed and implemented with the student leadership.
These partnerships include:
- SRC and student faculty council elections
- Induction of and handover to new student leaders
- Strategic planning programme of the SRC
- Re-admission and appeals committee training workshop
- Students in Quality Assurance Forum
- Induction of Class Representatives
- Emerging Student Leaders Programme
- Student Leadership Awards Programme
Bursaries and scholarships
Additionally, the division also administers the following student leadership bursary/scholarships opportunities for students with a strong track record in leadership at UCT:
- The Abe Bailey Travel Bursary;
- The Kerry Capstick-Dale Memorial Scholarships
- Other opportunities as from time to time advertised
See also: Residence Committees.