GAP funding is considered for those applicants that did not meet the NSFAS eligibility criteria but still need some financial assistance to wards their study costs. UCT will receive from NSFAS the relevant NSFAS financial aid application information to enable us to determine whether you meet the UCT criteria for GAP Funding.
The financial assistance provided to GAP funded students is a course fee bursary and a NSFAS/UCT Loan offer.
Students with a gross family income of less than R600 000 are eligible for GAP funding.
Realising how hard it is to finance more than 1 students cost of tertiary study, provision has been made to provide additional assistance for siblings at UCT. For GAP funded students with siblings at UCT - the 2nd and subsequent siblings will receive a 50% course fee bursary, provided that all have applied for funding and are undergraduate students.
UCT Administered Bursaries towards Course Fees
GAP funded students will receive a non-repayable course fee bursary ranging from 20% to 50%, based on the gross family income.
A first year BCom student could get as much as R25 000 as a course fee bursary.
NSFAS/UCT Loan Offer
GAP funded students will qualify for either a R44 000 or a R13 000 NSFAS/UCT loan offer. The loan offer is based on whether you are a local student or from out of town, with local students being offered a R13 000 loan, and out of town students a R44 000 loan. Note this loan is underwritten by UCT. NSFAS is the loan administrator and recovery agent for these UCT loans.
The loan conditions are the same as all other NSFAS loan conditions. The loan requires no surety and is interest free while you are studying. In addition you can receive a bursary rebate/conversion of up to 40% on your loan, based on your academic performance.
To accept the NSFAS loan offer you must:
- Be in receipt of a valid SA ID
- Be of sound mind
- Be in good academic standing
GAP Funding Rules
In the interest of ensuring an equitable and fair allocation of resources given the demand for financial assistance, the following GAP Funding Rules apply to any funding awarded.
- Students that have paid all their fees will have funding withdrawn pro rata to the credit in their account.
- Students with sponsorship or scholarships will have their UCT Tuition bursary and thereafter the NSFAS loan offer will be reduced or cancelled equivalent to the other funding received.
- Students UCT GAP funding will be adjusted should NSFAS provide/allocate funding.
- Students will not receive UCT GAP funding if other funding received exceeds the UCT determined GAP funding package.
- All GAP funded students are expected to pay their contribution towards study cost.
- NSFAS loan conditions will be applied
- The Loan offer is towards outstanding fees. Students will only receive funding for private accommodation should they have a credit. No other refunds permitted.
How do I apply?
UCT is part of the National Student Financial Aid Scheme (NSFAS) student-centred application model. All students and applicants that require financial support must apply to NSFAS.
Use the link below to the NSFAS website to register and proceed to complete your on-line application.
When I know if I am eligible for GAP funding
Once we receive the outcome of your assessed application from NSFAS, we will determine your eligibility for GAP funding. It is therefore important to submit a properly completed application with supporting documents.
All applications are checked against the following eligibility criteria :
- South African citizenship or permanent residency (conditions apply)
- First undergraduate qualification
- Financial eligibility
- Applicant must not be under administrative order
UCT will confirm by email your eligibility for GAP funding