A variety of services are offered for health issues, including:
- Clinical consultations: With either a clinical nurse practitioner or medical practitioner in a confidential, holistic primary healthcare setting. All staff members are qualified, accredited practitioners with a licence to dispense medication.
- Dispensary: Essential medication is sold at cost price, on a strictly cash basis in the context of a consultation. Specialised medication will require a prescription from a Medical Practitioner and the student will have to purchase this at a local pharmacy.
- HIV/AIDS: Pre- and post-test voluntary counselling and testing (VCT) is offered free to all students. Consultations at Student Wellness are one hour long, and clients receive their results immediately after the counselling. Shorter and more accessible VCT is available in the Drop-in Clinic in the Sports Centre on Upper Campus. All information is confidential. Management and support of HIV-positive clients is offered at no cost to the student.
- Reproductive health: Sexually transmitted diseases (STI), pregnancy, contraception, Pap smear, emergency contraception (EC).
- Managed medical conditions: asthma, diabetes, hypertension, HIV, tuberculosis, epilepsy , depression.
- Extra-time assessments
- Deferred exams/academic appeals
- Accident insurance/sports injury: Limited insurance to cover accidental injury.
- Psychological support: Anxiety, depression, relationship and sexuality issues - when necessary can be referred to our Counselling Services.
- Referrals: physiotherapists, dentists, X-rays, tertiary hospitals, private hospitals and specialists.
- Travel advice:Travel advice including Malaria prophylaxis and prevention.
- Minor surgical procedures: Suturing, incision and drainage of abscesses, removal of splinters.
Confidentiality All medical consultations are strictly confidential, and will not be divulged to any other party outside of the Student Wellness Service, with the following exceptions:
- when you provide written consent
- when your life or safety or that of someone else is threatened
- when information is subpoenaed by a court of law
- when required for the purpose of case management within the Student Wellness Service